photo f_recipes.jpg" />

Monday, May 28, 2012

Make Your Strawberries Last Longer

Last week, I picked up some gorgeous, plump strawberries from the farmer's market. I left them sitting on the counter and by the next day almost the entire container had shriveled and turned moldy.

Boo. That was $5 down the drain.

Then I remembered, all too late, a trick that I had read in a magazine (can't recall which one) that would keep the strawberries from getting icky. I picked up another basket of strawberries to test the trick and it worked.

Take your fresh strawberries and put them in a large bowl. Run some cold water over top of them.


For every 2 cups of water, stir in 1/4 cup vinegar. You can use distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar. The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of the vinegar will kill all the mold spores and bacteria on the strawberries. I promise you will not taste the vinegar on the strawberries!


Swish the strawberries around in the vinegar/water solution and let them soak for 5 minutes or so. Drain, give the strawberries a little rinse, and then place them on a towel-lined cookie sheet to dry. Once the strawberries are dry, store them in an open container in the fridge. Mine have lasted a week and could possibly go longer, but I eat mine before the week is up. You could also cap the strawberries, leave them on the cookie sheet, pop in the freezer overnight, and then transfer the individually frozen strawberries to a freezer bag. Use the frozen strawberries in a fruit ice cream or smoothie.

Enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. So interesting how this works...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my hero! I adore strawberries but the organic ones go bad so FAST. Going to try this, this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so used to eating "regular" strawberries from the grocery store that I had NO idea how deeply preserved they were with pesticides and the like until I got some "real" strawberries from the farmer's market. The vinegar really helps them last longer.

      Delete
  3. Here's another idea from my local strawberry patch in NC. Remove the strawberries - don't rinse or anything! - from the farm's bucket/container and put them in a bowl with a sealable lid. I use a Tupperware bowl. On top of the strawberries, place a paper towel. Put on the lid. Store in the fridge. That's it! And they do last forever (if I don't eat them first!) When I get some out, I usually replace the damp paper towel and wipe off the condensation from the lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder how that works? Maybe the moisture is absorbed by the paper towel before the berries can turn moldy? Thanks for sharing that tip!

      Delete
  4. Argh, that happened to me this weekend too! In literally one day, they went from perfect to moldy. I wanted to cry. I'm going to pin this tip and use it next time I buy strawberries. And I'm also going to subscribe to your blog because it is awesome and anyone who makes fruit leather in a car is worth reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you - ha! The only problem with making it in the car is it has to get hot enough outside to do it!

      Delete
  5. Thanks, I can't wait to go buy a big batch of strawberries now. one question, what is meant by 'cap the strawberries' does that mean cut off the tops? Or just remove leaves? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it - the green top is called the "cap," so just cut off the leafy top. By the way, this works on strawberries fresh from a garden or the farmer's market. Strawberries in the grocery store have been treated with major chemicals and pesticides to preserve them. Strawberries fresh from the farm are untreated, so this will help make them last as long as what we're used to getting in the store :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...